Nursing Care Plan for Anorexia Nervosa

Anorexia nervosa is an illness of starvation, brought on by severe disturbance of body image and a
morbid fear of obesity. Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder (binge-purge syndrome) characterized by extreme overeating, followed by self-induced vomiting. It may include abuse of laxatives and diuretics. Binge-eating is defined as recurrent episodes of overeating associated with subjective and behavioral indicators of impaired control over and significant distress about the eating behavior but without the use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors (e.g., purging, fasting, excessive exercise).

DSM-IV
307.1 Anoxexia nervosa
307.51 Bulimia nervosa
307.50 Eating disorders NOS
Binge-eating disorder (proposed, requiring further study)

ETIOLOGICAL THEORIES
Psychodynamics
The individual reflects a developmental arrest in the very early childhood years. The tasks of trust, autonomy, and separation-individuation are unfulfilled, and the individual remains in the dependent position. Ego development is retarded. Symptoms are often associated with a perceived loss of control in some aspect of life and may center on fears of sexual maturity/intimacy. Although these disorders affect women primarily, approximately 5% to 10% of those afflicted are men. Additionally, eating disorders are often associated with depression, anxiety, phobias, and cognitive problems.

Biological
These disorders may be caused by neuroendocrine abnormalities within the hypothalamus. Symptoms are linked to various chemical disturbances normally regulated by the hypothalamus. Furthermore, a physiological defect may make it difficult for the individual to interpret sensations of hunger and fullness.

Family Dynamics
Issues of control become the overriding factors in the family of the client with an eating disorder. These families often consist of a passive father, a domineering mother, and an overly dependent child. There is a high value placed on perfectionism in this family, and the child believes she or he must please others and satisfy these standards.

NURSING PRIORITIES
1. Reestablish adequate/appropriate nutritional intake.
2. Correct fluid and electrolyte imbalance.
3. Assist client to develop realistic body image/improve self-esteem.
4. Provide support/involve SO, if available, in treatment program to client/SO.
5. Coordinate total treatment program with other disciplines.
6. Provide information about disease, prognosis, and treatment.

DISCHARGE GOALS
1. Adequate nutrition and fluid intake maintained.
2. Maladaptive coping behaviors and stressors that precipitate anxiety recognized.
3. Adaptive coping strategies and techniques for anxiety reduction and self-control implemented.
4. Self-esteem increased.
5. Disease process, prognosis, and treatment regimen understood.
6. Plan in place to meet needs after discharge.

Nursing diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa: NUTRITION: altered, less than body requirements may be related to inadequate food intake; self-induced vomiting and chronic/excessive laxative use possibly evidenced by body weight 15% (or more) below expected (anorexia), or may be within normal range (bulimia, binge-eating), pale conjunctiva and mucous membranes; poor skin turgor/muscle tone, edema, excessive loss of hair; increased growth of body hair (lanugo), amenorrhea, hypothermia, bradycardia, cardiac irregularities, hypotension, electrolyte imbalances.

Desired Outcome:
1. Verbalize understanding of nutritional needs.
2. Establish a dietary pattern with caloric intake adequate to regain/maintain appropriate weight.
3. Demonstrate weight gain toward expected goal range.

Nursing intervention with rationale:
1. Establish a minimum weight goal and daily nutritional requirements.
Rationale: Malnutrition is a mood-altering condition leading to depression and agitation and affecting cognitive functioning/decision-making. Improved nutritional status enhances thinking ability, and psychological work can begin.

2. Involve client with team in setting up/carrying out program of behavior modification. Provide reward for weight gain as individually determined; ignore loss.
Rationale: Provides structured eating stimulation while allowing client some control in choices. Behavior modification may be effective only in mild cases or for short-term weight gain. Note: Combination of cognitive-behavioral approach is preferred for treating bulimia.

3. Use a consistent approach. Sit with client while eating; present and remove food without persuasion and/or comment. Promote pleasant environment and record intake.
Rationale: Client detects urgency and reacts to pressure. Any comment that might be seen as coercion provides focus on food. When staff member responds consistently, client can begin to trust her or his responses. The single area in which client has exercised power and control is food/eating, and she or he may experience guilt or rebellion if forced to eat. Structuring meals and decreasing discussions about food will decrease power struggles with client and avoid manipulative games.

4. Provide smaller meals and supplemental snacks, as appropriate.
Rationale: Gastric dilation may occur if refeeding is too rapid following a period of starvation dieting. Note: Client may feel bloated for 3–6 weeks while body readjusts to food intake.

5. Make selective menu available and allow client to control choices, as much as possible.
Rationale: Client who gains self-confidence and feels in control of environment is more likely to eat preferred foods.

6. Be alert to choices of low-calorie foods/beverages; hoarding food; disposing of food in various places such as pockets or wastebaskets.
Rationale: Client will try to avoid taking in what is viewed as excessive calories and may go to great lengths to avoid eating.

7. Maintain a regular weighing schedule, such as Monday/Friday before breakfast in same attire, on same scale, and graph results.
Rationale: Provides accurate ongoing record of weight loss/gain. Also diminishes obsessing about changes in weight.

8. Weigh with back to scale (depending on program protocols).
Rationale: Although some programs prefer client to see the results of weighing, this approach can force the issue of trust in client who usually does not trust others.

9. Consult with dietitian/nutritional therapy team.
Rationale: Helpful in determining individual dietary needs and appropriate sources. Note: Insufficient calorie and protein intake can lower resistance to infection and cause constipation, hallucinations, and liver damage.

10. Transfer to acute medical setting for nutritional therapy, when condition is life-threatening.
Rationale: The underlying problem cannot be cured without improved nutritional status. Hospitalization provides a controlled environment in which food intake, vomiting/elimination, medications, and activities can be monitored. It also separates the client from SO(s) and provides exposure to others with the same problem, creating an atmosphere for sharing.

13 comments:

  1. My name is hoover, my 18 year old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, fever, hepatitis A.B.C., diarrhoea, HIV/AIDS, Huntington's Disease, back acne, Chronic renal failure, addison disease, Chronic Pain, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumour, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia disease, Cervical Disk Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorder, Eczema, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation. and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to give a testimony on how I was cured from herpes ii virus after using Doctor Patrick liquid herbal medicines for one month only, i found about Doctor Patrick on newspaper, I had to take his email and phone number and then contacted him, I explained everything to him and he assured me that he can help me and I will be free from this infection forever. He sent me the medicines and I started using according to his instructions, after two weeks of using the medicines, I saw great changes, I continued using the medicine until I used it all for one month, I was cured totally, no more symptoms and I went for another diagnosis, the Doctor gave me my test result and it came out negative, I want to thank God for making this come true and I want to thank Doctor Patrick for what he has done for me, contact this herbal doctor on herbalmedicalhome@gmail.com and whatsApp number is +2348021312463.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  3. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of Dr OSAGIE , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years and 4 mouth without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 5days which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can to mail him on drosagiesolutiontemple@gmail.com OR
    DROSAGIESOULTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM or WHATSAPP +2347030465649 he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below .
    HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.
    .DIABETES .
    CANCER
    .HEPATITIS
    .HIV/AIDS
    Thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hej det är laa! För 9 månader sedan berättade min läkare att jag fick diagnosen HSV2. Jag var hjärtbruten, men samma månad hittade jag en Dr Ricksin. som hjälpte mig att bota viruset med naturlig örtbehandling permanent. tack till Dr. Ricksin för hans naturliga växtbaserade behandling som eliminerat detta virus i min kropp för alltid. hans kontaktinformation för alla obotliga virus via; drricksin@gmail.com eller whatsapp honom eller ring honom via hans telefonnummer +3197005034579

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m recommending Dr Godday to everyone who have herpes virus to get the cure from him. I was diagnose of genital herpes in 2015 and i have been searching and asking questions to see if i could get something to cure the disease because i did not believe what the doctors say that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testify how she was cured from herpes and hpv after using Dr Godday herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr email and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herbs and send it to me through courier and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which i did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE. I waited another month and retested the result was still NEGATIVE and my doctor told me that am completely free from herpes. Am so happy and grateful to Dr Godday for what he has done for me and i will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is cure for herpes. You can contact Dr Godday on email and WhatsApp to get the cure from him. Email:goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com Or Call/What’s-app +1{919}4956404

    ReplyDelete
  7. Programmed ATM Cards
    Do you know that you can hack any ATM machine !!!
    We have specially programmed ATMs that can be used to withdraw money at ATMs, shops and points of sale. We sell these cards to all our customers and interested buyers all over the world, the cards have a withdrawal limit every week.
    Getting rich and living the rich and famous lifestyle is a dream of many people. And while most people go to work or look for other ethical methods to make money on ATM-programmed cards.
    The programmed ATMs withdraw money from each ATM but have a withdrawal limit every week, only your PIN code is in it, it is a high-tech card system. The PROGRAMMED ATM card works on all card-based ATMs, anywhere in the world.
    Email: atmservices44@aol.com
    Email: hacklords.investors@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to give a testimony on how I was cured from herpes ii virus after using Doctor Patrick liquid herbal medicines for one month only, i found about Doctor Patrick on newspaper, I had to take his email and phone number and then contacted him, I explained everything to him and he assured me that he can help me and I will be free from this infection forever. He sent me the medicines and I started using according to his instructions, after two weeks of using the medicines, I saw great changes, I continued using the medicine until I used it all for one month, I was cured totally, no more symptoms and I went for another diagnosis, the Doctor gave me my test result and it came out negative, I want to thank God for making this come true and I want to thank Doctor Patrick for what he has done for me, contact this herbal doctor on herbalmedicalhome@gmail.com and whatsApp number is +2348021312463.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (NO MEMBERSHIP FEE TO JOIN ILLUMINATI), I am giving a testimony on how i became rich and famous today… i was deeply strangled up by poverty and i had no body to help me, and also i searched for help from different corners but to no avail… I see people around me getting rich but to me i was so ashamed of my self so i met a man on my way he was very rich and he was a doctor so he told me something and i thought over it through out the day so the next day i looked up and i keep repeating what he said to me.” if you want to get rich quick and be famous” you need to cross your heart and do what is in your mind so i tried all i could in other for me to do as he said so later on i told my fellow friend about this same thing then my friend was interested in my suggestions so i decided to look in the internet and i found an email of an agent Jackson illuminatiriches50085@gmail.com and we decided to contact them and fortunately we did as they instructed us to do and later, they told us to get some requirements and all the rest… so this initiation took us just a week and later on the great Illuminati gave us $7,000,000.00 to start up our lives…. and now am testifying that if in any case you want to join any great Illuminati all you need to do is for you to contact him on whats-app +1(409)2993890.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Olisa Blessing, I am so happy. I never believe I will be this happy again in life. I have worked as an air hostess ( cabin crew ) for 3years but early this year, I lost my job because of this deadly disease called Herpes virus (HSV). I never felt sick or notice any symptoms. Not until the day all workers were asked to bring their doctors report card, that was how I got tested and I found out that I'm HSV positive and that made me lose my job because it was considered as an STD and is an incurable disease. I was so depressed that I started thinking of suicide.
    I explained my situation to an older friend of mine, who often said to me 'a problem shared is a problem half solved. She felt so pity for me that she referred me to Dr. Utu Herbal Cure, that was how I contacted Dr. Utu and got the medication from him and was cured for real.
    I went back to my work a month later with another HSV negative test result and they carried out another test to be very sure and they found out I am negative.
    Finally, the initial test was replaced with a negative result and my responsibility was restored to me with an apology letter and an earnings increase.
    Beware of impersonators,
    Dr. Utu can only be reached at:
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete